Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Meet the Coaches

Well we had a fun ride on Saturday, with a team picnic to follow. It was a great time riding up Beach Drive, with a detour over a hill that nearly put me on my back. Training has been a challenge for sure, mainly finding the time for the longer rides to get some serious saddle-time. But for me, the biggest challenge has been the hills. On Saturday, our ride had a 200-foot rise in it. Challenges are the name of the game in what I'm trying to do here, from fundraising, to distance, to learning new skills, to hills. I'm finding that I get through it by remembering how much greater the challenges are that LLS' beneficiaries are dealing with, and by having a great team behind me.

We've got two team coaches, Ed Cosgrove and Mark Frieden.
Both are TNT alumni and have dedicated themselves to this cause many times over. But the best part is they clearly love to help others get involved and succeed, both for the cause and for themselves. When I was struggling up the hill, Mark was right there egging me on and making sure I didn't give up. I admit I had to stop for a few seconds about 3/4 of the way up, but I made it all the way to the top!

Next time hopefully the hill will be a little easier, and I finally got clip-ins on my bike so I'm hoping it will make every mile that much more efficient...once I stop falling over that is!

No comments: